Protein Pancakes

Say hello to your new found breakfast!


And -- Hello from the hottie tottie Midwest!  

No, seriously...let's take a minute to talk about this.  We've had a pretty tame Summer here in Iowa, until this week.  I think it's because we kept having a nice day which then turned to rain, storms, flooding, and then a bit colder weather than the typical July weather.  It's been in the 90's but the humidity has cranked up which is just killer! I could probably handle it all year long as I despise the cold (don't tell anyone)!

July has flown by really, with the 4th sneaking up on us and then it was gone, just like that. It was a great holiday though, and even better that it was on the weekend.  We hit the farmer's market and the pool during the morning and then watched the fireworks with my family and some friends.  Pretty low key but look at this pretty snack I made! I didn't want people to eat it because I just liked looking at it!


Now it's already halfway through the month but good news folks -- one of my Summer classes is over!  My Summer is one that I am vowing to never do again -- I piled Anatomy + Lab and Biochemistry onto my plate.  It's a lot and if you tackle it in the summer, its double the trouble.  I was driving up to school twice a week and each day was considered to be a full week in a regular semester, with a test everyday.  My other classes are online but they are still fast-paced and once you pair that with work, moving, and trying to enjoy my summer, life has been difficult and stressful.  I'm now realizing there is a light at the end of my tunnel as Biochemistry is over next week and my Anatomy Lab ended last week.  I studied my booty off for that and scored an A! Hopefully after next week, I can sail a little smoother.  

Since I was driving earlier than usual on some days, I've been experimenting with a lot of different breakfasts to get some variety into my day and just to see what else I like.  I used to love eating greek yogurt everyday for breakfast but I've been trying to take dairy out of my diet the past couple of months due to some health issues.  Which by the way, is really hard sometimes.  I can give up yogurt and I haven't had a glass of regular milk in years (almond milk is the way to go, people!) but ummm, cheese. And wine. Go together really well.  So every once in a while, I let myself have it.  Luckily, we have a local pizza place by us that has gluten-free crust and vegan cheese by request that actually tastes amazing!  Since swapping out my greek yogurt, my choices for breakfast have changed to fruit with almond butter and some granola, eggs, smoothies or maybe a protein bar if I have limited time.  Before I tell you about one of my favorites I have found, I have a confession to make.  Almond butter is my jam - literally because I would much rather eat it than any jelly.  I used to eat peanut butter until I had my gallbladder removed in college and I've pretty much said no to it since.  Almond butter feels better in my body and its delicious.  But it's a problem for me since I go through it so fast!  The best one is at Trader Joe's for a decent price but sometimes I go to Costco for an even better deal!  Some jars can cost up to twenty dollars -----> my guy's jaw dropped at that when he went to buy a jar for me one day!  I hope you are raising your hand right now saying how much you love almond butter too!  It will make me feel more sane, so, please.

Move aside, almond butter.  Good morning, Protein Pancakes! Yes! I love these things -- so easy to make and I always make a batch to put in the freezer and then keep some in the fridge for the next couple of days.  I only allowed myself to eat one when I made them and packaged the rest up for the fridge so I could eater later in the week. They are awesome for breakfast or even snacks!

The full recipe is below but here are some snapshots of my progress.  I have to warn you (and I'm sure you can tell) that I don't have ah-mazing pictures like some other fabulous bloggers do.  Since I'm just getting back on the roll with this stuff, I use my iPhone and then edit.  I know, one of the big things to have is great pictures, but in time, it will come!

Protein Pancakes look a little weird while mixing and cooking, but they taste so, so much better.


Once everything is mixed up, I use a measuring cup to scoop into the pan, three at a time.  You really have to watch these babies.  I've never been a pancake lover to be honest so I don't cook them much!  These have to softly bubble enough that you can flip without burning them.


Final product.  I told you they aren't very pretty like this.  I suppose I could have put the blueberries and honey on top, but then I would have to eat them all.  Which probably would have been fabulous.

As a side note before sharing the recipe, I added protein powder into my pancakes.  I have a lot of people ask me what I use and I have finally found one that I enjoy, has a nice texture, and that my body can handle.  My stomach is super-sensitive and I've bought more sample packs of protein powder than I can even think about.  Orgain Protein Powder (click to see link) is plant based, vegan, and holds a powerful 21 grams of protein.  I really love it!  I have the chocolate fudge one right now but I may try the vanilla next time.  I buy my canisters at Costco - Orgain seems hard to find and I find it to be the cheapest there!  What is your favorite protein powder?

Protein Pancakes
  • 4 eggs (I used two full eggs + two egg whites)
  • 2 mashed bananas (the riper, the better)
  • 1/2 cup gluten-free oats
  • Dash of cinnamon
  • 1 scoop of your favorite protein powder (I used chocolate but you could use vanilla, cinnamon, or even chai!)
  • Coconut oil
  • Blueberries (or your favorite fruit)
  • Honey
1. Mash two ripe bananas. Add two eggs + two egg whites, whisk.
2. Add 1/2 cup gluten-free oats + dash of cinnamon.  
3. Add your scoop of protein powder.  Mix everything together well.
4. Use a small amount of coconut oil to grease up your pan, on medium.  I usually get a paper towel and rub the coconut oil on the pan.
5. Use 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop out mix onto pan - depending on the size that you are using can depend on how many you can fit on there.  I go for three with the sides barely touching.
6. Keep on low to medium heat to ensure that the pancakes will cook but will not burn.  Keep a close eye on them and when they start to bubble and rise a bit, insert your spatula underneath to see if they are ready to flip.
7. Continue to cook until batter is gone.  Place onto plate, add your fruit and a dab of honey.  You are set to cut, stab, and eat. Most important piece: Remember to chew! 

If you are putting any in the refrigerator or freezer, place into containers and let cool off before you put the lid on.  Super easy to warm up in the microwave and a bonus is to add the fruit before the microwave so it melts together, along with some almond butter. Obviously.

I hope you try these and love them! They are probably one of the easiest breakfasts I've made that I can take with me which is important for my busy lifestyle.

I'm curious -- since I'm obsessed with almond butter -- what is the one food you are dying to eat everyday? 

Wherever you are, I hope you stay cool this week, and...stay healthy.






Comments

Popular Posts