Zucchini Hummus

Hello!

This summer has flown.by.  I feel like I was just yelling "Hallelujah!" for the summer months and now, its already August.  Craziness!  Apparently I've been too busy to write and update you on the fun things I've been doing...so this is wayyy past due.

Summer has consisted of nice weather - low temps in July is unheard of in Iowa.  This morning, I wore a long sleeved shirt on my 60 degree run!  What else other than nice weather? Grilling on the deck with beverages, birthday celebrations, puppy training, an awesome trip to Boston (pics to come later!), a bachelorette party at the lake for one of my besties and her wedding to follow over the 4th of July.  Whew! So busy, but so fun!  

A great compliment to summer is the Des Moines' Farmers Market on Saturday mornings.  I love going there to people watch, walk around with coffee and grab a small taste of everything.  Most importantly, you can buy local food at the market, include this massive zucchini that I bought for $1.50.


$1.50!!

I kind of bought it because I thought it was hilarious and cheap.  But then, I started thinking about all of the fun things I could make with it!  Zucchini bread, zucchini muffins, grilled zucchini...and even Zucchini waffles or pizza crust. Pinterest has some great ideas!  Then it hit me and I came up with a grand idea!  I've always wanted to make hummus and I knew I could definitely incorporate this baby in there.  Which would require a food processor.


Back story.  My main squeeze knew I had really been wanting a food processor so I could create more things in the kitchen.  The poor guy researched the best rated food processor and surprised me with it for my birthday last year.  I was so excited.  I was going to make things all of the time.  Well folks, here it is - no lies.  The food processor finally came out of its box this week.  My birthday is at the end of August.  Nice work, Ashley.

Along with my procrastination, I also made a mess in the kitchen.  But it was fun, I learned a lot, and I used up half of the zucchini.  Score! 

What I did learn - it is super easy.  All you need:
  • 4 cups zucchini 
  • 3/4 cup Tahini
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 4 lemons, juiced
  • 4 peeled garlic cloves
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • Sprinkles of sea salt
  • Paprika to sprinkle on top
1. Cut up chunks of your zucchini and throw into the food processor - blend to make 4 cups.  I peeled the skin off first.
2. Throw the rest of the ingredients in (minus the paprika) and blend to smooth.
3. Serve in a dish with paprika sprinkled on top.


I took a big 'ol container to work and I kept some at home - I've been dunking extra veggies I've had on hand and some gluten-free crackers in the hummus.  Yum! A must do.

As I mentioned, we've been doing a lot of other things this summer, and one of our main focuses has been our puppy. Laila is now 5 months old, and is growing like a weed!  We've been through six weeks of puppy training, lots of treats, toys (have you ever heard of the Everlasting Treat Ball? Its ah-mazing and your dog will play with it for hours!) and we've had a ton of fun while at it!


HI!

Enjoy the beginning of your August and hopefully it goes by a little slower for all of us!

Stay Healthy.

Comments

Popular Posts