Caramel Breakfast Rolls

I want to share a secret with you.  It will bring deliciousness to your morning, and it is a perfect way to start out your New Year!  You're welcome.

These have been a family favorite for years, and I recently made them for Christmas morning.  My Mom made these for special occasions, holidays, requested parties, etc.  She made them much better than me but I'm trying to carry on the tradition! I made a couple of tweaks to add on minor health benefits but boy, do they still taste amazing!!




Ingredients
  • 24 Rhodes frozen dinner rolls (I would love to find frozen whole wheat rolls or GF rolls but I cannot find them anywhere!!)
  • 1 cup chopped pecans 
  • 1 pkg regular butterscotch pudding
  • ½ cup Earth Balance buttery spread
  • 1 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon (I used a fabulous Penzey’s China Cinnamon Tung Hing that my Dad got me for Christmas!)
  • 1 Tbsp flaxseed

Note: You will want to prep everything the night before so your rolls can rise overnight.

1. Start off by adding the buttery spread, brown sugar, and cinnamon to a small pan.  Bring to a boil and stir in the flax seed.  Take temperature down to a low simmer so the liquid doesn’t burn.

2. Meanwhile, spray a 9 X 13 pan with non-stick spray and sprinkle the pecans onto the bottom of the pan.  Place each frozen roll on top of the nuts.  If the rolls are scored, make sure to place that side face down.

3. Sprinkle the butterscotch pudding on top of the rolls, followed by pouring the hot liquid on top.

NEXT MORNING.



4. Keep the rolls uncovered and let them rise overnight.  In the morning, turn the oven to 350 degrees and bake for 20-25 minutes. 


5. When you take the rolls out of the oven, let them sit for a couple of minutes.  Get a regular dinner knife and cut around the edges.  Get two sheets of foil, fold the edges together to make a tray – and turn your pan of rolls upside down onto the foil.  Scrape the pan for yummy goodies!!!







My Mom used the foil trick and I still do this.  It makes it really easy to transport anywhere and it keeps the rolls warm!  Make sure to cover them if you are waiting for someone to dig in or if you are taking somewhere.  I packaged them up and took them to work where they were devoured. 

I promise, you will love these!  And, these are the kind of rolls that are sometimes better the next day heated up with a lovely cup of joe.  Or, you could just eat some off the gooeyness by itself.  I have.

2013 has been a year of craziness for my family, my friends, and myself.  It's been filled with laughs, smiles, and hugs...and unfortunately, tears, sadness and prayers. I can happily say that I am ready to start a New Year and very excited to see what comes.  

Bring it on, 2014!

Stay Healthy.

A


Comments

Popular Posts